5 Ways from Winter Blues to Good Moods
Feeling blue? Employ the following to find a better mood:
1. Boost Vitamin D
2. Mood Follows Food
3. Move Your Body
4. Adventure Big and Small
5. Digital Detox
1. Sunshine. Good old sunshine is our #1 source of Vitamin D. When the sun shines, get outside and leave the sunscreen behind. Be sure not to burn, but gain a healthy dose based on skin tone to promote bone health, enhance muscle strength, reduce inflammation and boost immunity - a necessity with the current uptick in flu viruses.
When Mr. Sun is much more elusive, natural Vitamin D3 production within our own bodies becomes less efficient leaving many folks feeling moody, restless, fatigued, and sometimes downright grumpy. Solution: Vitamin D3. Our functional medicine team is happy to offer further best advice.
2. Mood Follows Food. Highly refined carbohydrates and sugar affect blood sugar levels which can lead to crankiness. Other comfort foods can double as healthy pick-me-ups when they contain mood-boosting nutrients including omega-3 fatty acids, good carbohydrates and protein. Consuming foods with natural probiotics such as kefir, yogurt, miso soup and sauerkraut may also improve mood by supporting gut health. Not to mention a favorite, raw cacao, which due to the “feel-good” mineral components will serve you well. An absolute necessity is to know you are choosing correct versions of these foods. At Après Sessions, we offer many ways to support you so that you gain the most bang for your buck. Let’s après.
3. Prioritize Movement. Earlier in the day is the best time to exercise and move your body for better focus throughout the day. It will also equate to a better night’s sleep.
4. Plan an Adventure. Big and small adventures add up. Spend a couple hours at the local natural hot springs. Take a long weekend in a brand new destination. And once a year plan a trip that will bring equal parts challenge, transformation, and rest and relaxation. All three of these types of adventures are equally important and add up to great moods. Let’s talk about how to calendar them, look forward to them, and make them happen.
5. Digital Detox. We could speak on this one for days. Start with turning off all tech and wifi for an hour before you turn out the lights each night. Do not turn them on until after an hour of being up and moving through your morning rituals. How’s that for a small challenge? We offer many tools and techniques in this arena. For additional motivation, read more on Safe Tech.
Contact us today to learn many more best suggestions from our functional medicine and holistic wellness team to combat winter blues and access good moods. Let’s Après.